Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Happy Birthday, Brent!


I spent yesterday thinking about today...Brent's birthday.  I was doing the same thing a year ago.  We had a scheduled inducement.  I prayed a lot...God please don't let Brent have PKU...5 minutes later...God please let Brent have PKU.  I wasn't sure what the best outcome was for us.  We had a 25% chance of him having it too.  On one hand, we had been through so much with Allie that we didn't know if we could emotionally handle Brent having it too.  On the other hand, we had become pros at the whole thing and it might be easier to manage them the same.  I also prayed obviously for a safe delivery and speedy recovery for me.
Brent's name is a pretty special one.  He is named after my cousin, Brent.  He passed away in a car accident a few years ago and I wanted to honor his memory in some way.  Brent was an amazing cousin, amazing athlete, amazing person, and amazing son.  I had no doubt that my Brent would have loved to know my cousin, Brent.  We have gotten lots of things that were once my cousin's including a few moose stuffed animals and a moose rug.  Fast forward to Brent's birth...
Brent's birth was a pretty traumatic one for me and traumatic for Jon to watch.  There were a few issues, the main one being he ended up being 9 pounds 4 ounces.  Within seconds of being born...my doctor said the words..."whoa, what a moose!"  And the nickname was born.  I knew at that moment that my cousin was looking down and giving his approval of his name being passed on.  Brent was given more tests than normal since there was a higher possibility to having PKU.  His tests ended up coming back positive and we now manage Brent right alongside Allie.
This past year has been an adjustment for us all.  Jon and I wake up everyday putting our energy into taking care of ourselves so we can better take care of our kids.  PKU is a silent war that we are fighting and we are arming ourselves everyday with more knowledge and more acceptance that this is our life God has given to us and all the challenges in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment