Thursday, January 31, 2013

What this blog is and is not...

I'm sitting in bed with Allie tonight and we are dancing to the "wiggle" song on Yo Gabba Gabba.  We are flailing our hands and heads and bodies and in that moment everything is perfect.  The song finishes and she knows it is now "nap time" as it is called on the show.  We head for bed and it is now time for me to make the kids' batches for the following day.  The gram scale and the blender have permanent places on the counter.  I measure out each of the kids' mixtures of medical formula and blend their batches.  The night is now finished and its time for bed.

This synopsis is a normal night for our family...a family in which both of our kids have PKU.  It's a very rare genetic disorder that doesn't have "awareness walks" or telethons raising money for it...and you are hard-pressed to find someone who knows what is is.  But is is our LIFE.  Our life is monthly blood work at Nemours Children's Clinic.  Our life is measuring every morsel of food on a gram scale.  Our life is reading food labels and being mathematicians.  Our life is our kids.

Why is this blog called what it is called?  Because we have to have the first two to mange the third.  Patience is tested daily...having a 2 year and a 10 month old creates daily chaos.  It's so important for them to eat their pre-measured food and drink their medical formula.  But hey, did I mention that we have two black labs?  The kids love making sure they get enough to eat too!  "No, Allie, don't throw your Cheerios to Pepper! You need to eat them!"  Love is given all around.  It keeps us going.  Love brought both of them into the world.  Love kept Me grounded when I blamed myself for the kids having PKU.  Love keeps Jon and I focused on remembering its family first.  Our life is our kids.


1 comment:

  1. Hi I'm Will's wife. I know we have not met yet BUT I just wanted to say that I can tell that you are a WONDERFUL Mother!! I can tell in the way you talk about your kids and how much you support them with PKU. We just had our first kiddo and I have not been a mother long but kudos to you! You are kicking PKU butt;)
    God Bless -Kristin

    ReplyDelete